Easter is not a healthy time for most families! There is no escaping the chocolate. Is it just me or are chocolate easter eggs so much more delicious than chocolate in a bar?!
Along with chocolate are hot cross buns. Again, not healthy. Until now!
This is a simple, healthy, and clean recipe for hot cross bun muffins. It is created by nutritionist, naturopath, and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish
If you like this post then don’t forget to check out the recipe for Superfood Healthy Easter Eggs for Kids
Healthy Easter Hot Cross Bun Muffins
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup 250ml coconut milk (BPA free, canned)
- 1/2 cup 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice (approx 1 large sweet orange)
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 2 cups 200g almond meal
- 1 tsp 3g gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp 1g organic vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp 2g cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup 100g Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 Tbsp 20ml coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp 20g coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp 40ml water
- Snap-lock bag/ piping bag
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk eggs with coconut milk, orange zest, and juice.
- Add almond meal, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves and mix to combine.
- Stir through chopped dates.
- Spoon batter into patty/muffin cases.
- To make crosses – in a small mixing bowl combine coconut milk, coconut flour, and water to make a white paste. Spoon into a snap-lock bag or piping bag. Cut a small corner to make a piping whole and squeeze mixture on top of muffins in a cross design.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy, and refined sugar.
A simple, healthy and clean recipe for hot cross bun muffins. This recipe is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar.” width=”736″ height=”2061″ />
Have you made these Hot Cross Bun Muffins? Let us know what you thought in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post then please show your support and consider buying me a coffee!