One of my boys’ favourite meals is chicken nuggets. It’s that one meal I can cook knowing they will eat and the one thing I know they will ask for if I give them the option. I’m pretty happy about that. Chicken nuggets are easy to cook, got a bit of protein in and just need throwing on the plate next to some veggies – easy!
When I just had my eldest and he started eating them I used to make them from scratch but to be honest, I have become lazy. However, I really wanted to get back into doing it as it’s so reassuring knowing exactly what is in their food and that it has been made with only the best ingredients and a lot of love!
That’s why I wanted to share this recipe with you from Aimee Clark, Food + Cooking Coach at Primal Influence. I hope you love it as much as I do.
If you like this post then check out: How HelloFresh makes life more manageable for new Mums
Golden Chicken Nuggets:
250g free-range chicken thighs and breasts (or a combination of both)
1/4 cup organic green banana flour
Healthy oil for pan (coconut, organic olive, avocado, rendered animal fat, ghee)
Himalayan salt, pepper to taste
Optional: 1/2 tsp garlic powder, dried herbs and spice powders,
- Roughly chop chicken pieces, and desired flavours then blend in a food processor until only very small chunks remain and it’s close to ‘mince’ texture.
- In a large, flat container add the flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine then wearing food-grade plastic gloves, pick up about a tablespoon of the chicken mixture, shape with your hands then place in the flour mixture and turn to evenly coat. Shake off excess flour. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture
- Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick frypan on the stove at medium-high temp
- Place nuggets in the pan, turning each over once one side is coated with oil, so the other side is coated. If the pan isn’t completely flat with a raise in the centre, that’s ok. As long as each side of each nugget is coated with some oil they’ll cook fine in the centre without the majority of oil touching them. Too much oil under the nuggets can prevent the surface from crisping up and cause them to become soggy, so a dry-ish area on the pan is ideal!
- The nuggets won’t take long to cook through. Once cooked place them on a plate to serve, or paper towel for a minute or so if they’re too oily.
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 organic tomato, finely diced
1/2 cup organic tomato paste
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tbsp coconut amino
2 tbsp bone broth or water
Himalayan salt, pepper to taste
Oil/fat to cook onion in
Optional: raw honey to sweeten, dried/fresh herbs and spices of choice
- Place the oil and onion into a medium saucepan on the stove at low-medium temp and cook until onion is translucent
- Add in the remaining ingredients and let simmer until it reduces to desired consistency
- Allow the sauce to cool then use a stick blender (or pour into a regular blender) to blitz and remove some or all of the onion and tomato chunks
- Serve alongside nuggets in a dipping bowl or pour into a container to store in the fridge. This recipe makes a lot more sauce than needed for the nuggets recipe, so you can freeze batches of it so you always have some to thaw and use.
Have you tried this Chicken Nugget recipe? Comment below and let us know what you think!
If you enjoyed this post then please show your support and consider buying me a coffee!